Tusker fight back against Seal to keep slim trophy hopes alive

Sunday, May 12th, 2024 16:25 | By
Charles Momanyi, Erick Kapaito and Eugene Asike of Tusker celebrate a goal against Murang'a Seal. PHOTO/(@tusker_fc)/X
Charles Momanyi, Erick Kapaito and Eugene Asike of Tusker celebrate a goal against Murang'a Seal. PHOTO/(@tusker_fc)/X

Tusker fought back to pick up a 2-1 win over Murang'a Seal in the Football Kenya Federation Premier League match staged at Dandora Stadium on Sunday, May 12, 2024.

The win means that Tusker's slim hopes of winning the Premier League title remain alive as they go second, temporarily though, as they wait for the outcome of Police FC's game results. 

Meanwhile, there was a neat combination between Daniel Sakari and Erick Zakayo in the fourth minute, but the former could not connect well with a final cross that would have easily led to a goal in favour of the former Premier League champions.

Murang'a Seal's Erick Balecho breached Tusker's backline in the 13th minute, but Eugene Asike made a vital intervention to block the visitor's forward from scoring at that point.

However, the Premier League debutants scored the opening goal in the 19th minute when Dennis Kweyu found the back of the net.

It did not take long before Tusker grabbed an equaliser as David Odoyo scored in the 22nd minute. Erick Kapaito, an influential attacker for the Brewers since joining the club, did well to set up Odoyo with a neat cross, and the scorer just slotted home to restore parity.

There were two quick chances for Seal a minute past the half-hour mark, but they did not convert them into goals. In the first instance, after a counter-attack, their effort hit the woodwork before the second chance was blocked by goalkeeper Brian Bwire.

A Zakayo and Kapaito combination almost gave the Brewers the lead in the 34th minute, but the former Kariobangi Sharks star, even after beating his opponent cleverly, could not get his final shot at the back of the net.

David Odoyo of Tusker celebrates a goal against Murang'a Seal. PHOTO/(@tusker_fc)/X

Tusker's winning goal

Finally, Tusker took the lead four minutes before the hour mark. Zakayo did well to set up defender Charles Momanyi, who headed in for the lead just before the halftime break.

The Ruaraka outfit could have grabbed the third goal had Shaphan Oyugi managed to find the back of the net with a close chance in the 59th minute. Oyugi did well to create some space on the left and pulled the trigger, but the ball flew slightly over the bar.

Just two minutes after the hour mark, head coach Robert Matano made a change; he brought on Ibrahim Joshua and Luvanda for Kapaito and Mike Oduor, respectively.

The two substitutes combined in the 78th minute, with Joshua heading the ball onto the path of Luvanda, who could not calmly launch the trigger, and his weaker shot was collected by the goalkeeper.

Luvanda set up Joshua, but the Tanzanian was not clinical at close range and set his shot wide in the 86th minute.

For these and more credible stories, join our revamped Telegram and WhatsApp channels.



More on Sports