News

Nyong’o calls on Bidco to sever links with Israel

Wednesday, February 21st, 2024 08:40 | By
Nyanza governors ask Kindiki to deploy GSU officers to Sondu over ethnic clashes
Kisumu Governor Anyang’ Nyong’o during a past function. PHOTO/(@AnyangNyong'o)Facebook

Kisumu governor Anyang Nyong’o has demanded that oil products manufacturer Bidco cuts ties with the Israeli government over the atrocities committed in Palestine.

 Nyong’o demanded the Thika-based company immediately severs links with Israel after its forces mounted a large-scale attack on Gaza.

 More than 25,000 Palestinians have been killed from the Israel invasion, sparking round global condemnation over what many empathizing countries have termed as ‘genocide’.

 The war in Gaza has also displaced thousands, with figures from the United Nations (UN), saying at least 1.9 million Palestinians have been displaced, thousands blistered.

Nyong’o wants Bidco to withdraw from a potential collaboration with Israel, warning the trade pacts between the two countries was now a risky venture.

The UN’ advisory stems from a meeting between an Israeli Economic and Trade Mission and Bidco Group Chairman Vimal Shah, in Kenya last week.

“Last week, an Israeli Economic and Trade Mission was in Kenya to meet Bidco Group Chairman, Vimal Shah during which they discussed trade deals with promise to strengthen ties,” Nyongo said.

In an advisory statement Nyong’o said. ”We are calling our brother Vimal Shah to restrain his company from proceeding with the move in line with the decisions taken by the United Nations Organisation and the International Court of Justice.”

Countries conflict

The Kisumu County boss stated that the only way to resolve the conflict between the two countries is to adopt a two-state bilateral solution.

Currently, all EU member countries have called for an “immediate humanitarian pause” in the Gaza war on Monday, with Foreign policy chief Josep Borrell saying it is wrong.

The EU has over the past few months struggled for a united response on Israel’s military invasion or operation following the October 7 attack by Hamas.

But Borrell said foreign ministers from 26 states had agreed and signed a statement calling for “an immediate humanitarian break to end sustainable ceasefire”.

Rafa city assault

The EU countries also reiterated their calls for Israel not to stop the assault on the Gaza city of Rafah, which has become the main shelter zone in the strife stricken territory.

Other EU nations such as Germany are still cagey until now to call for an “immediate” halt in Israel’s operations. Same applies to Hungary.

They are slow to be seen backing any move that could limit Israel’s right to defend itself from external aggression.

The war started when Hamas launched its unprecedented attack of October 7 that left about 1,160 people dead in southern Israel, mostly civilians.

This is, according to an AFP tally of official Israeli figures.

Over 29,000 people, mostly women and children have been killed in the Israeli military operation in Gaza, the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory says.

Hamas, considered a “terrorist” group by the United States, EU and other governments, also held hostage about 250 people -- 130 of whom remain in Gaza. Of the number 30 are presumed dead, according to Israel.

Israel has warned that, unless Hamas frees all hostages, it will carry on with its charm offensive during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, including in Rafah.

But in a statement issued from Qatar, Nyong’o who sits in the UN counsel, also appealed to the African Union (AU) to sever diplomatic ties with Israel over the ongoing bombing of Gaza.

Nyong’o described the attacks as unfortunate and claimed the Horn of Africa cannot afford to stay silent. “Progressive forces in Africa led by the African Union cannot stand by and let this happen,” he said.

Nyong’o challenged the global body to rally its members to cut diplomatic links with Israel and alleged that Israel was planning to escalate its invasion of Gaza.

More on News


ADVERTISEMENT